The History of Price's Barber Shop
Established in 1936, the Price's Barber Shop has been a part of St. Augustine's history for a long time. In this exihibit, the course of the barber shop's history, including its relocation to 3 separate locations is shown as well as many artifacts within the shop. Price's Barber Shop remained loyal to the city of St. Augustine and stayed in the historic downtown district--bringing together a sense of family and community. It continues to serve citizens of St. Augustine and visitors alike to this day.
Walking down Granada Street in St. Augustine, Florida, you will come across Price’s Barber Shop. One of the oldest barber shops in the city, the store sits in the heart of the historic downtown, nestled among some of the oldest structures in the state and the nation. This shop has become much a part of the town, just as the town has also become part of it. Price’s Barber Shop has become entwined into the community and has made its history an addition to the St. Augustine history.
The barber shop was established in 1936 in St. Augustine by the first founder, Carlton Price. Carlton Price was born on October 3, 1921 in Pringle, Georgia. He was the oldest out of nine siblings, with the youngest being Elery Price, who also worked in the barber shops. Elery served in the United States Army during World War II and was an original member of the crew on the USS Alabama.
After serving, he came back to St. Augustine to work in the barber shop Carlton had established in the town. This was during the mid 1950s to early 1960s; at this time, the barber shop was located on Cathedral Place where the Bank of America presently sits. This was the first Price’s Barber shop in St. Augustine.
The barber shop did not stay in the original location for long; soon after, the shop moved across the center of town near where the present day Casa Monica hotel stands. Price’s Barber Shop stood here for approximately 38 years. Inside the current shop, there is also a shoe shining chair along with brushes and tools used to shine shoes original to the barber shop when located near the Casa Monica. According to the Price family, another service they offered at the time at that location was to shine the shoes of people right before they headed into court. Price’s barber shop looked after the people of St. Augustine and made sure their costumers looked groomed and polished. After that period of time, the barber shop finally moved to today’s present location on Granada Street, opposite of the Casa Monica hotel, and has been there for seventeen years.
Carlton then moved further south to start another Price’s Barber Shop in Daytona, and Elery took over ownership of the shop; then in the early 1990s he retired. Even after retirement, Elery remained an active member in the community—participating in the St. Augustine Boating Club, the St. Augustine Elks Lodge #829, as well as being an avid fisher and hunter. Elery passed his love for hunting and fishing onto his family as well as some of his costumers. Today the inside of the shop is decorated with a variety of animals and waterfowl the Price family has collected themselves or the community has brought in to the shop.
Ownership and management was then passed to today’s present owners: Jeff Price (Elery’s son) and Michael Price (Elery’s grandson). Jeff Price began working in 1979 and has now been in the business for over 35 years. The current owners still try to keep the spirit of the first two shops within the current shop, retaining the original cash register that’s approximately 60 years old, as well as many of the chairs and tools used for doing business.
The Prices mention how many generations of families, including their own, have been coming into the barber shop to receive haircuts or shaves. Many National Guard members also come into shop as well as return costumers, following the tradition of Elery Price and the crew of the USS Alabama.
Despite moving three different times, the Price’s Barber Shop remains loyal to the town and to the people of St. Augustine. Just like barber shops of the past, the Price’s Barber shop continues to be a place of community and fellowship. A place where friends and family can come together and share in politics, local news, weather, and general conversation to this today. The Price family enjoys keeping this part of St. Augustine’s history alive and continues to add to the history of the town.